Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to page footer



What should my private insurance policy cover
in order to apply for a residence permit?

The benefits of the insurance policy submitted with the application for a residence permit or its extension (based on Ministerial Decision no. 53821/2014/21.10.2014) must include:

-Hospital care coverage in a Public Hospital: €10,000 per year with 20% participation by the insured.

-Insurance of Permanent Total and Partial Disability due to Accident: €15,000 per year with 20% participation of the insured.

-Medical expenses due to illness or accident: €1,500 per year with 20% participation of the insured.

The contract must clearly state that the insurance covers the amounts set by the law/ministerial decision and it must be expressly stated that it covers anything that happens to you in the EU and specifically in Greece.

If you have an insurance policy from your country of origin, you can submit it officially translated as long as it provides the above coverages. It is possible to search the services for certified translators who are included in the Registry of Certified Translators of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the link:

The cost of translating a contract ranges from 30-40€.

Otherwise, students are directed to draw a financial contract with a Greek insurance company.

The cost of a health insurance program starts from 60€/year.

Medical and Hospital Health Care in Greece

Undergraduate and postgraduate students and PhD candidates with no other medical or hospital health care insurance, are entitled to full medical, pharmaceutical and hospital health care in Public and University Hospitals, in the Units of the National Health System (NHS) and in the Municipal Clinics of the country in case of emergency and accident with the demonstration of their Academic ID or AMKA (Social Security Number).  

At the same time, the University with its services in the center of Athens (Ippokratous 15) or at the University Campus (Ulof Palme 12, University Campus, Ilisia) offers students, with the demonstration of their Academic Identity, Health Service with the following medical specialties:

a) General practitioner (tel. 210 3688241, 210 3688243, Monday–Wednesday–Friday 8.00–14.30, Tuesday and Thursday 8.00–15.00)

b) Ophthalmologist (tel. 210 3688240, Monday – Wednesday – Friday 8.30 – 13.30, Tuesday – Thursday 9.30 – 14.30)

c) Dentist (tel. 210 3688210, 210 3688211, Monday to Friday 8.30 – 13.30)

d) Psychiatrist (tel. 210 3688226, Monday – Thursday – Friday, 9.00 – 14.00 and Tuesday – Wednesday, 8.30 – 13.00) at Ippokratous 15 and at the University Campus (tel. 210 7275580, Monday – Tuesday, 9.00 – 14.00)

e) Psychologist  (tel. 210 3688282, 210 3688209, 210 3688244, Monday to Friday 8.00 – 14.00) ) at Ippokratous 15 and at the University Campus (tel. 210 7275579, 210 7275589, Monday to Friday 8.00 – 14.00)

f) Nursing service

Medical and Hospital Health Care for the holders
of the European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. The benefits covered include, for example, benefits provided in conjunction with chronic or existing illnesses as well as in conjunction with pregnancy and childbirth.

Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider.